25 Things About Lil Ol Me
January 23, 2009 1 Comment
There has been a Facebook/Friendfeed and probably elsewhere Meme going around (although folks aren’t really tagging people they [like me] are just jumping on the bandwagon). Well to not be left out (actual I thought it might be interesting to see what I could come up with) here are 25 Things you may or may not know about me:
- I’ve had a total of 3 years of voice training from 2 very talented voice teachers (one of them recently found me on Facebook).
- I sang for many years in a church choir as a first soprano.
- My favorite choral piece to sing is Daniel Pinkham’s Christmas Cantata (with brass quintet).
- Music has always been a big part of my life (flute, organ and voice lessons). I’m always with music (XM radio in car, Grooveshark-Finetune-Pandora-LastFm on computer, iPod when mowing the lawn, etc.)
- I’ve worked basically for the same place of employment since I was 16 years old. Started on Feb. 1, 1980 and only left for 1 year before coming back.
- Other library positions I’ve held outside of my current POW – periodicals and acquisitions depts. at Catsonville Community College.
- I’ve done my fair share in the retail arena as well – Roy Rogers (fast food), Musicland (record store), Gantos (clothes store) and Target.
- I had never been on a plane until 1998 and then I flew to Hawaii for my first airplane ride.
- I’ve been to Paris, Spain (Andulacia region), England and Australia (New Zealand too if you count layover in the airport).
- I’m an only child and the mother of an only child but my Mother is 1 of 12.
- I’m very particular about color. One of my favorite books from childhood is “The Color Kittens” by Margaret Wise Brown. Colors if not right really bother me (be it paint, web sites, etc.)
- Humor is very important to me. Guess that explains why I use it as a defense mechanism. Favorite comedians include Eddie Izzard, Eddie Murphy, Billy Crystal, Robert Klein, and all time fav George Carlin.
- I have had an Oscar night party for 8 out of the last 10 years. Complete with evening dress, champagne, voting (sometimes prizes), and decorations. It is being requested that I do it again this year so I will host once more for the 81st Academy Awards.
- I can often be a Johnny-come-lately when something becomes TOO popular. E.G. Harry Potter and LOST – both I finally gave into after most everyone were on board. Now HUGE fan of both.
- If I had to pick a sport that is my favorite it would be baseball. I think my love of it comes from my Dad who used to play softball (he played shortstop) and took me to many a Baltimore Orioles game (even got my picture taken with Mark Balengar who played shortstop for the O’s).
- I’m highly allergic to cats, somewhat to horses and guinea pigs but not dogs. Thankfully since I have had 4 dogs in my lifetime so far – currently own a Lab Mix [Dani] and an English Springer Spaniel [Maddie].
- I’ve had the honor of seeing Raul Julia & Kevin Kline (Arms and the Man), Yul Brynner (The King and I), Ben Vereen (Pippin), and Carol Channing (Hello Dolly) perform live.
- I was half of the lead couple that did the Virginia Reel as part of Ellicott City’s bicentennial celebration at my elementary school which has now been turned into condos.
- I’m married to a Englishman who came here in 2001 (right after 9/11).
- If I hadn’t wound up working at the library I could have been a caterer who designs interiors while being a secretary for lawyers.
- My first computer was an Atari – I’ve used Windows, Mac and now Linux – I’ll take the Linux thank you very much (it’s on my desktop and laptop at home and main work machine).
- One game I’ve not played that everyone else seems to is World of Warcraft. Now if they only made a Linux version.
- I like mowing the grass. We have 2 acres and it’s my time to zone out, crank my tunes and have some alone time. Besides I take pride in doing a nice job getting around the trees my husband hates to deal with.
- I wrote poetry for a brief time (probably influenced by the poet I was dating at the time). Once we broke up I have not written poetry since but it helped at the time.
- I believe everyone enters your life for a reason. Some are there for a short time while others stay longer – everyone is there to teach you a lesson.