A Day in the Life – Take Two
July 27, 2009 Leave a comment
The 2nd Annual Library Day in the Life started today. Same rules apply – “whether you are a librarian or library worker of any kind, help us share and learn about the joys and challenges of working in a library.” So after a full day of work, walking of the dogs, mowing part of our 2 acres, fixing dinner and cleaning up I finally sat down to watch “The Hunting Party” episode of season two of Lost while I put my notes into a blog post.
Monday July 27, 2009
Got to work just before 7:30 am to find that I wasn’t the only early bird this morning. Julian Clark (who is also participating in this via Twitter – @julian2) was in before me and already hard at work.
- Swapped out the backup tapes and exchanged last week’s set for the new set for both the Horizon and the Authority Works servers.
- Put a new sheet up for the server room temperature sheet (librarian in charge has to record the temp once a day to ensure the servers stay cool)
- Unforward the helpdesk phone line (gets forward after hours to one of IT’s cell phones)
- Performed the morning duties for Monday
- Headed to Staff Lounge to get a mug full of ice for my homemade green tea with lime
- Settled into my desk – logged into both my Ubuntu and Windows machines
- Checked voice mail – one call from the Head of Collection Services in response to a question about what we do when titles are no longer available from OverDrive
- Checked email (both work and Gmail)
- Checked to see if there any pending helpdesk tickets to assign (luckily there were none)
- Using Twirl I Twittered about Library Day in the Life (smiled when armylibrarian retweeted my tweet about Library Day in the Life)
- Sent email (per Central Library Manager’s request) to rest of the Howard County Library signage committee about the cool picture I found of Seattle Public Library’s call no. floor mats
- Checked Flickr, Facebook and Twitter and rss feeds (social|median and RWW)
- Dugg a couple of worthy articles
- Updated Online Request a title for your bookclub form on library’s web site
- Reviewed Si fStaff Intranet) for submissions that may need to be published and cleaned up expired announcements
- Went to our Miller Branch to take the last Library101 photos
- Got back to Central Library about 15 minutes after we had opened (due to budget restrictions we are now opening at 10 am instead of 9 am) and got one of the few remaining parking spaces (we are loved!)
- Worked on email bouncebacks notices (always a lot after the weekend) – remove the address from customer’s account, put block on the account asking for an updated email address
- Responded to email from the Executive Director and CEO about how to get an important presentation to the architects before the 1pm meeting
- Took call from librarian at the main information desk – problem with receipt printer and trapping hold – conflict between the printer and keyboard
- Just got back to desk when the fiction desk called with a problem – not sure what happened as they said they couldn’t trap hold but when I was there had no problem (didn’t hear anything more from them about this issue)
- Queued up several Tweets for the library’s official Twitter account – @HoCo_Library
- Email to head of collection services about removing titles from catalog that aren’t part of Overdrive anymore.
- Closed 2 helpdesk tickets regarding customer question and error message with OverDrive – one could have been found by looking through the help section
- Finally some lunch and my guilty pleasure of playing Bejeweled Blitz on Faceboo
- Answered IM question from librarian about OpenOffice and adding page numbers. Found answer by Googling – gee, why didn’t the librarian do that?
- Wrote another Tweet for the library’s official account
- Edited and uploaded images I took at Miller Branch for Library101 video project
- Wrote post for Open Source blog – waiting review
- Sent email to staff that had pictures taken for library101 w/link to Flickr
- Resized library101 images and uploaded to facebook
- Updated email alias and closed helpdesk ticket – didn’t need to update – realized I forgot to update the mailing list (not just the group in Deksnow)
- Worked on some AOL bounced backs – people forget that they sign up for email notices from the library then they mark us as spam
- Closed another helpdesk ticket about OverDrive – seems like the problems come in batches
- Fixed email mailing list so all names display on staff intranet
- Investigated how we managed to have Maryland spelled incorrectly on one of our PAC screensavers for the last couple of yrs.
- Surfing web sites to get ideas for navigation for our new staff intranet – using stumbleupon
After 3:30 pm so it’s time to go home. WHEW, what a day.