January 28, 2010 2 Comments
I got to work plenty early so I decided to swing by Wilde Lake to see if I could snap a few shots. The white houses along the lake front caught my eye and I liked their reflection. I try to participate in Momentile each day so this was my ‘Tile of the day yesterday. After about 15 mins. I was sufficiently frozen so I hopped back in my car and drive down the street to the library.
Realized when I pulled into the parking lot that Wilde Lake was a venue in Foursquare so I cheated a little and checked in (well I had been there – have the photographic proof). I waited until I got in the building to check in as the Mayor of Howard County Central Library.
Unlocked the elevator and office door. Unforwarded the helpdesk phone and swapped out the tapes on both the Horizon and Authority Work servers.
Gave into the Diet Coke addiction once again but alas the staff lounge soda machine was out. So I had to run back upstairs and get my keys so I could unlock the front grate and get some from the vending machine in the lobby.
Back to my desk – booted up both my Ubuntu and Windows machines. Per usual opened Tweetdeck, Thunderbird and Firefox on the Ubuntu machine. Checked our helpdesk tickets on the Staff Intranet and assigned it to one of my co-workers.
Had realized on the drive in this morning that our interim boss wasn’t part of the IT alias so I made sure to add her to it so she could be on top of things.
Checked my Gmail and approved a comment for my blog so while I was in there I blogged about Tuesday.
Noticed that my Windows machine needed a java update so I let that run.
Registered for a Zemanta account and updated my preferences on my blog. I really have to thank John LeMasney for introducing me to Zemanta. I love how it finds Creative Commons only images so I can put them in my blog. I go back and comment on that person’s Flickr account thanking them for using creative commons license and letting them know I used their image for a blog post.
Got a call on the helpdesk line that one of the new info desk computers wasn’t working. It was flashing red instead of having a solid green light. Wasn’t booting up to the desktop. Don’t know why it was doing this because when I went out there I turned it off – counted to 10 turned it back on and it booted up fine. Guess we’ll have to keep an eye on it.
Edited and uploaded the above picture to Momentile.
Had a short but interesting conversation via Twitter with @librarianbyday and @GMLGeek about using Foursquare in libraries. I had sent info about Foursquare to our PR dept as well as the Teen Programmer (thought it could be a fun tool to use with Summer Reader at some point).
Checked in my overdue (*bad library worker*) items via Horizon. Checked out reserve that had come in for me via Marina (our statewide ILL system).
Ran an errand (the bank) across the street and of course checked in via Foursquare.
Updated the usability testing sheets to reflect the changes I had made at the end of the previous day to our new Staff Intranet.
Worked with @Julian2 capturing photos of the scan feature on our new copiers. We are putting together instructions for staff/customers.
Started editing the photos I took of the copier.
Observed the first usability test of the day. As always such an interesting process – everyone is so different. However, we are getting a sense that 90% of the site is spot-on just need to tweak the remaining 10%.
Got an IM from staff member in Admin asking if our network admin was in the UK (he does have family there). No, he was standing right behind me. Got 2 phone calls from other staff asking about our network admin. Turned out his old Facebook account had someone gotten reactivated (not by him) and someone was scamming people with this old scam. Posted information including the video to front page of our Staff Intranet, as well as, my Facebook page and on Twitter just to let people know that this wasn’t our co-worker scamming folks.
Gobbled down a quick lunch before our first IT meeting with our new interim boss.
IT meeting – went over a few loose ends from our old boss, she had plenty of questions regarding projects we were working on and we each brought her up to date on the projects.
Got a call from HR to update Intranet and web site to reflect old boss’s position being vacant.
Off to our Glenwood branch to do the second usability test of the day. Our web programmer and I sat down afterwards and discussed what changes we thought might need to be made, how we should move forward considering his work schedule.
Went home but stopped by Food Lion (again checked in with Foursquare) to pick up some nuts for my husband (one of his favorite snacks). Picked up an extra jar as a small thank you to our web programmer for all his help on the Intranet (and for putting up with me in general).